Envistacom is a privately held technology company that provides counterterrorism, cybersecurity and communications solutions to U.S. and coalition partners in the aerospace, defense and intelligence communities. Customers rely on Envistacom for innovative technology and subject-matter expertise to achieve their missions in identifying and defeating global threats. Envistacom is a trusted partner in protecting military personnel, civilians and critical infrastructure around the world.
Envistacom is seeking a seasoned Mechanical Engineer – Electronics Packaging for upcoming SATCOM projects A key contributing role in Envistacom’s Engineering Team at the Duluth Innovation Center, Duluth GA. Responsible for leading the development of new products for SATCOM applications by packaging new and existing components and subsystems in innovative arrangements to meet requirements of warfighter in transportability, ease of deployment/setup, reliability and maintainability.
This person will report to a Principal Engineer and design and document packaging solutions in coordination with the Program Managers and Systems Engineers.
This role may manage a small team of designers and may interface with outside Industrial Design consultants. This is not expected to involve administrative duties related to these participants.
This role will also include supporting the Program Managers in program planning with inputs regarding effort status, schedules, ETCs, and customer communications including SDRLs.
Other roles and activities:
- Upfront definition of product requirements with consideration for industrial design aspects of the larger product and its subsystems: modular product design for ease of assembly and repair, end user industrial design and ergonomic consideration, and design for low cost
- Understanding and documenting end user preferences and requirements, development of concepts, industrial, structural & thermal analysis, design for cost as well as understanding and implications of designs on electrical performance.
- With the Principal and Systems Engineers review system requirements and identify or derive critical mechanical design specifications: functionality, electromagnetic, mechanical, and environmental
- Use engineering drawings, CAD models, electrical schematics, and wiring diagrams from the Project Engineering team to create packaging designs
- Create designs for injection molds and machined parts
- Provide technical direction for electronic packaging design to insure compliance with requirements and best practices
- Work with manufacturing partners to create initial product prototypes through high-volume manufacturing
- You will work in cross functional teams of technical marketing, electronics and mechanical engineers to define electronic and system packaging solutions for current and next generation products.
- The candidate will be working on several projects at one time and must be able to multitask and prioritize.
- Perform design for manufacturing (DFM) review on full product design
- Develop and implement electronics packaging test protocol and quality control metrics
- Perform internal and external design reviews for prototype and production designs, models, and drawings. Identify and assess design and manufacturing risks
- Support integration activities
- Test prototype enclosures to ensure compliance with system requirements
- Write system technical manuals and white papers and support Integrated Logistics Support team when full support documentation is required
- 10+ years of experience of mechanical and industrial design/development of electronics packaging for high reliability and rugged environments including qualification testing experience
- Ability to solve packaging engineering mechanical design problems, perform trade studies, develop design requirements, perform piece part design and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware
- Knowledge of SATCOM and/or communications equipment
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Masters level education preferred)
- Proficient with design analysis tools including SolidWorks and/or Inventor, AutoCad and/or Visio, ANSYS or other FEA for structural and thermal analysis
- Familiarization with layout, design, and fabrication of PCBs and knowledge of interfaces to mechanical design: shielding, thermal interfaces, mounting
- Experience with packaging electrical interfaces to electronics assemblies including power, RF, fiber optic, and ethernet signals
- Extensive experience interfacing with various suppliers and services including printed wiring board and mechanical fabrication, electronic assembly and quality assurance
- Familiarity with manufacturing techniques for metal and plastics including sheet metal, machining, casting, molding, etc.
- Skilled in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5M
- Experience with qualification to standards including MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461, Human Factors, Safety
- Experience with certifications including UL and CE
- Ability to independently coordinate across disciplines to ensure project success related to mechanical packaging
- Strong communication skills – positive, accurate interactions are key to Envistacom’s culture and our progress whether within the test group, across disciplines, up thru management chains to c-level
- Ability to gain a US security clearance
- Some travel: <25%
- Knowledge of Agile product development
- Cable and wire harness design experience
- Excellent project management, communication, and leadership skills
- Excellent technical writing ability
- Direct experience in managing budgets and project schedules
- Supply chain involvement: ensuring their testing, resolving issues discovered here by test there
- Innovation, fast-paced, state of art, changing/evolving
- Support proposal activities
- Interface with customers, internal and external, as required
- Participate in joint development activities with customers
- Work with both marketing and engineering/R&D teams
- Participate in the design, development, and characterization of new component, sub-system, and entire system designs for … for next generation electronic packaging solutions
- IP documentation or protecting company technical
- Work in a dynamic, intellectually stimulating team-based environment.
- versatile, creative, and motivated to tackle new problems
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k+match
Envistacom is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Envistacom provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment and maintains a drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage minorities, women, veterans, LGBT and disabled individuals to apply.
Please - no recruiters or staffing agencies